Blog

5 Things That Are Toxic to Pets

Our animal companions are much more than adorable, four-legged roommates: they are part of the family! However, our furry friends don’t always know what’s best for them. Many pets also like to learn about things by, well, eating them. This can be very dangerous! Read on as a local Aurora, CO vet lists some common household items that are poisonous to Fluffy and Fido.

Antifreeze

Antifreeze is one of the biggest concerns when it comes to preventing pets from ingesting toxic substances. It’s extremely poisonous to pets, but unfortunately has a taste that many animals like. Be sure to mop up any spills immediately, and put sand or kitty litter down on any damp spots. Better yet, keep Fido and Fluffy out of the garage.

Medications

Human medications—both prescription and OTC—can be very dangerous to pets. Dogs are particularly at risk here: Fido may initially only want to chew on the bottle, but could end up ingesting its entire contents. Keep all of your medicines in safe, secure cabinets.

Marijuana

The legalization of marijuana has wrought many changes across Colorado, even here in the world of veterinary medicine. Your pet could get very sick if he or she ingests marijuana! Marijuana-laced goods, such as cookies and brownies, are even more dangerous, because they could also contain products like chocolate, nuts, or xylitol, which are toxic in and of themselves. If you do partake, be sure to keep your marijuana products in a place your pet cannot reach.

Lawn/Garden Products

Many of the products that we use to keep our lawns and gardens looking nice are highly toxic to pets. Fertilizer, fungicides, and herbicides are a few examples. Your four-legged pal could get sick just by walking through a recently-treated spot and then licking their paws! Give your property a good watering after applying these products, so the chemicals seep down into the ground. Also, keep your furry companion away from areas you’ve just applied products to.

Pest Control Products

Pesticides are another danger for pet owners to be aware of. Rodent traps, ant traps, and other similar products can make your beloved pet extremely sick, and can even be deadly. Keep these things well out of paws’ reach!

Please do not hesitate to contact us, your Aurora, CO animal hospital, for all your pet’s veterinary care needs. We’re here to help!

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube